|Federal Government||Länder||Communities||Total government sector||Private sector||Abroad||Economy as a whole|
|Area||Billions of euros|
A Education budget in international demarcation (ISCED) 2)
A30 Expenditure on educational institutions (public and private funded)
A31 ISCED 0: pre-primary level 3)
Of which, expenditure on children aged younger than 3 years
Of which, expenditure on children aged from 3 to school entrance
A32 ISCED 1-4: school and levels close to school, of which:
Vocational programmes 4)
In-company training under the dual system 5)
A33 ISCED 5-8: tertiary level 6)
Of which, vocational programmes
Of which, academic programmes (at higher education institutions)
Of which, research and development at higher education institutions
A34 Others (without ISCED classification) 7)
A40 Expenditure of private households on educational products and services beyond educational institutions
A50 Expenditure on the assistance to participants in ISCED education programmes
B Additional education-relevant expenditure in national demarcation
B10 Continuing vocational education 8)
B20 Expenditure on other educational opportunities
B30 Assistance to participants in continuing education 9)
A-B Total education budget
1) Financial statement (funder), in consideration of payment transactions between federal, Länder and local governments (initial funds). Data defined due to concept 2015. Possible rounding differences.
2) ISCED = International Standard Classification of Education 2011.
3) Crèches, kindergartens, pre-school classes, school kindergartens.
4) Excluding trade and technical schools, specialised academies and vocational academies; including schools for nurses, midwives etc.
5) Expenditure on company-based, extra-company and inter-company training under the dual system including training grants by the Federal Employment Agency, and the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.
6) Excluding expenditure on patient treatment, including expenditure on trade and technical schools, specialised academies, vocational academies, R&D at higher education institutions, and the student services.
7) Expenditure can not be related to particular ISCED levels (including the estimated expenditure on training for civil servants, services of the public administration, and teacher training courses).
8) Estimate of the costs of continuing vocational training provided by companies (excluding staff costs of participants) based on the results of the continuing vocational training survey (CVTS). The number of employees is multiplied by the average continuing training cost per employee by branch and company size. No adjustment for possible double countings at external training programmes (e.g. at institutions of higher education).
9) Payments from the Federal Employment Agency to participants in continuing vocational education. It is not possible to eliminate cases (dual system, continuing education) where grants may have been included twice.
Last update: January 2, 2019